Thursday, September 8, 2011

How to Overturn Your Own Bill

This just irritates me to the nth degree. And SB5 just got overturned by the voters in November.

The Ohio legislators introduced and passed SB5 using the economic issues facing the state as the reason for now being the time to get a handle on things. I liked it because it actually puts negotiations back at the local level which usually increases options. But the unions and many of the members perceive SB5 as an attack on their livelihood. I can see where they might think that. The merit pay part was probably what scared many and the unions have convinced their members that the state legislature doesn't think very highly of their worth to society. It's a scare tactic and I didn't buy it but this latest sure does make it difficult to defend SB5.

So, what did our legislators go and do? They gave double digit, in most cases, pay raises to staffers!!! What the .....?

According to 10TV:

Niehaus said he based his decision on market forces. “I thought it was important to protect the most senior members of my staff,” Niehaus said.

He said he was worried he would lose key staffers to other state agencies or private businesses if he did not pay them more.


One of the supposed results of SB5 was a mass exodus of public employees into their retirement systems, as reported by The Columbus Dispatch back in June. I don't know how you would figure out what that particular statistic might actually be, but I can tell you that I know many people who are retiring earlier based on fear that was created by SB5.

So let me see if I get this right. It's ok for local governments to loose the experienced employees but it's not ok for the state senate to loose experienced employees. Both are public employees paid by the taxpayers. Hmmmm. Not sure I see what the diff is.

From my perspective, I'd rather see less experienced staffers, including legislators, but term limits fixed that, right? No. Not really. They just jump from place to place now.

But where the difference does lie is in the dollars. A 3% raise to the normal public employee, i.e. cop, firefighter, teacher, state worker, is one thing since it's based on a salary around 50-75K give or take. But that isn't where we are when it comes to the staffers who got as high as a 37% hike. We're talking about increases in pay on salaries that reach six figures in many cases. I don't generally begrudge anyone their salary but I fail to see how any public employee is worth 6 figures in this economic climate.

Another argument in favor of SB5 was to decrease the size of government. I'm afraid this isn't a decrease in government. Nope. Not in my book. If you need so many staffers that to keep the good ones cost this much, government is waaaay too big. You're legislating waaaay too much. Introducing waaaaay too many bills. And I've read them. Some of them are downright asinine.

So while the rest of us are told to tighten our belts and the rank and file public employees are told you need to help contribute to the cause, the staffers at the state house are given raises.

Well, I see where your loyalties lie, Republican Senate President Tom Niehaus. It certainly isn't with J. Q. Taxpayer. And if you think that it's okay just because you got a couple of the D's to sign on to this scheme, let me enlighten you. They did it because this is what will sink the final nail in the coffin of SB5.




No comments:

Post a Comment